I received your letter and the money. Thank you very much. I hope that G-d will reward your kindness with good health. To me this is a great help.
You asked me several questions: where was I born? I was born in a small place called Stavische, around the city of Kiev, on July 1, 1916. When I was 2 years old, my parents were killed in the pogroms against the Jewish people. I was in an orphanage until I was 14 years old, in the city called “White Church” (Bella Tzirkiv). This is also around Kiev.
I live alone. I never had a family and I don’t have one now. I found several photographs because you asked me to do this.
1. My brother and me. He was a little older that I. He was killed in the war. I am 12 years old in this photo (1928).
2. In this photo I am at a resort in Zhitomer and I am first from the right in the boat, at the bottom, holding an oar. (TRANSLATOR NOTE: The resort was named Tzrupa after a 1920s political leader). I am 20 years old in this picture.
3. I don’t remember what age or year but I am #1 from the right on the bottom.
4. This is a current photo (2005). I am in Synagogue wearing a fur beret.
5. Taken in the year 2000 when I was 84. (Note: she is 92 now).
I also found some more photos that may be interesting to you which I will send in my next letter.
After the orphanage, my brother and I went to Kiev and I was taught to make clothes from fabrics. And all my life I worked for the same company in the same pace making clothing.
One more time, thank you very much for your help and kind words.
Be healthy and G-d bless you.
Holocaust Survivors: Rakhil D. – Pinsk, Belarus